Catskill Regional Medical Center has adopted the CDC National Diabetes Prevention Program, which offers a scientifically-proven and effective lifestyle enhancement program that can help prevent or delay type 2 diabetes.
Are You at Risk for Diabetes?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), one out of three American adults has prediabetes – and most do not know it.
What is prediabetes?
Having prediabetes means your blood glucose (sugar) level is higher than normal but not high enough to be diagnosed as diabetes.
Without maintaining a healthy diet, weight loss or moderate physical activity, many people with prediabetes can develop type 2 diabetes within 5 years. Type 2 diabetes is a serious condition that can lead to health issues such as heart attack; stroke; blindness; kidney failure; or loss of toes, feet, or legs.
YOU MAY HAVE PREDIABETES AND BE AT RISK FOR TYPE 2 DIABETES IF YOU:
- Are 45 years of age or older
- Are overweight
- Have a family history of type 2 diabetes
- Are physically active fewer than 3 times per week
- Ever had diabetes while pregnant (gestational diabetes) or gave birth to a baby that weighed more than 9 pounds
Not sure? Take the Prediabetes Risk Test »
Catskill Regional Medical Center’s Diabetes Prevention Program
This program is proven to motivate and support people with prediabetes to make practical, real-life changes while decreasing the risk of developing type 2 diabetes by more than half. The 12-month program is designed to teach individuals how to:
- Make better food choices
- Increase physical activity
- Provide helpful ways to cope with problems and stress
Qualified participants will work together to achieve their goals, under the guidance of our certified lifestyle coaches.
If you have prediabetes or other risk factors for type 2 diabetes, it’s time to take charge of your health. Our Diabetes Prevention Program can help you make lasting changes to prevent type 2 diabetes.
Within Our Program, you will receive:
- A CDC-approved curriculum
- The skills you need to lose weight, be more physically active, and manage stress
- A trained lifestyle coach to guide and encourage you
- Support from other participants with the same goals as you
- A year-long program with weekly meetings for the first 6 months, then once or twice a month for the second 6 months
How To Participate in Our Diabetes Prevention Program
Our Diabetes Prevention Program is offered to eligible individuals with prediabetes. To be eligible for our program, participants must;
- Be at least 18 years old and
- Be overweight (body mass index ≥25; ≥23 if Asian).
Calculate Your BMI »
- Have no previous diagnosis of type 1 or type 2 diabetes and
- Must have either:1) A blood test result in the prediabetes range within the past year:Hemoglobin A1C: 5.7%–6.4% or
Fasting plasma glucose: 100–125 mg/dL or
Two-hour plasma glucose (after a 75 gm glucose load): 140–199 mg/dL or
Be previously diagnosed with gestational diabetes
OR 2) Have a positive screening for prediabetes based upon the CDC Prediabetes Screening Test
If you test positive or have questions about your eligibility, please call the Diabetes Center to get additional information, 845-794-3300 x 2106
We are also offering free screenings at the upcoming Sullivan 180 Healthy Living Festival on September 23rd. Join us! Eligible individuals will be pre-registered for our subsequent Informational Session on preventing Type 2 Diabetes in Sullivan County!
Sullivan 180 Healthy Living Festival
Free Prediabetes Screenings Available!
Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Loch Sheldrake, NY 12759
Prediabetes Informational Session
Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 6:00 PM
Catskill Regional Medical Group – Monticello
38 Concord Road Monticello, NY 12701
For more information, please contact us Tuesday – Friday at 845-794-3300, extension 2106.