Though dental care should begin as your baby’s first teeth erupt, often babies and young children do not have dental insurance or receive care from a dentist early in their lives.
Our Primary Care providers are focused on treating the “whole human” which includes our patients’ mouths! This is why our providers have integrated oral health into our primary care services to provide oral health assessments to our young patients, guidance on healthy eating and oral hygiene, as well as, fluoride tooth varnishing services for all children from 6 months to 6 years old.
Cavities are the most common chronic childhood disease. 5X more common than asthma.
More than half of Sullivan County third graders have untreated cavities. Cavities are painful and lead to:
- Tooth loss
- Impaired chewing and nutrition
- Difficulty sleeping
- School absences
- Low self-esteem
Oral assessments and fluoride varnishing treatment can be applied during your child’s regularly scheduled well-visits. If dental issues are present and identified during an office visit, we can help to refer families to established dentists in the area.
Fluoride Varnish Treatments
Fluoride varnish is a dental treatment that is applied as a coating brushed on the surfaces of your child teeth. Fluoride varnish has been proven to be an effective preventive measure when applied in the pediatric primary care setting. It is effective in:
- Preventing new cavities and stops ones that have started
- Strengthening teeth and reducing decay – on average by 40%!
This treatment is safe & quick to apply, as it only takes 1-2 minutes to apply and the cost of the treatment is covered by most insurances.
Is Fluoride Safe?
- It is quick, easy and safe and it does not hurt
- A very small amount is used and hardens fast. Almost no fluoride is swallowed
- Fluoride varnish is safe to use, even if your child gets fluoride from other sources, such as from drinking water, tooth paste, prescription fluoride, or vitamins
How long does fluoride varnish last?
- It lasts several months
- It works best when applied at every well visit
- Fluoride varnish can be applied 2-4 times per year
Your doctor cares about your whole child’s health – including their mouth and teeth!
Directions for Your Child’s Care After Treatment
Once the sodium fluoride varnish is applied to your child’s teeth, the treatment safely delivers fluoride and a protective coating to the tooth surfaces. To obtain the maximum benefit, please follow these recommendations after application:
- Do not brush or floss for at least 4-6 hours.
- If possible, wait until tomorrow morning to resume brushing and flossing.
- Feed a soft food diet for the rest of today.
- Avoid hot drinks and products containing alcohol (eg, beverages, oral rinses, etc) for the rest of today.
Your child will be able to feel the varnish on his/her teeth. Once brushing or flossing is resumed, the varnish will be removed from the tooth surface over the next several days.
Hours and Locations
If you would like your child to receive fluoride tooth varnishing treatments, please call to schedule an appointment with one of our Primary Care doctors, at any of our three locations in Sullivan County, NY.
38 Concord Road,
Monticello, NY 12701
Mon – Thurs: 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Friday: 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
8881 State Route 97
Callicoon, NY 12723
Mon – Fri: 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
36 Pearl Street, PO Box 770
Livingston Manor, NY 12758
Mon, Wed, Fri: 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Daytime and evening hours are offered at each location.
Same day appointments are available. Walk-ins are welcome!